You will start this flower with a magic ring. If you’ve never done it before, here is a great tutorial!
1. Chain 3 (counts as first double crochet) then work 13 more double crochets in magic ring (14 total dc)
3. Chain 5 (counts as 1dc and ch2), double crochet in same stitch
7. Slip stitch so you’re ready to work out of the ch2 space
12. In the same stitch you just joined in, work a single crochet
14. The next couple steps may be a little confusing, so hopefully the picture below will make it a little clearer! You will skip the first dc and sc in the second dc. Then, skip the hdc and sc in the next dc. So basically, you will sc in the stitches with stars on them in the picture below!
You can easily make this a 6 or 8 petal flower! All you have to do is change the number of double crochets in the very first round then follow the rest of the pattern as usual! To make a 6 petal flower, use 12 double crochets and to make an 8 petal flower, use 16 double crochets.
I made these with Lily’s Sugar and Cream cotton and a 5.00mm hook. They are large enough for most cups and are really good at absorbing water!